Fat grafting is a very common procedure used in both aesthetic and reconstructive procedures all over the body. In this type of breast augmentation, excess body fat is collected using liposuction and injected into breast tissue. The body reabsorbs a certain percentage of the injected fat, but the majority remains as a permanent improvement. Breast fat grafting can be repeated to create additional volume based on patient goals. Fat grafting can be used alone to add additional volume or in conjunction with implant augmentation.
Types of procedures
- Breast augmentation with fat grafting: The breast is enhanced using fat grafting alone.
- Breast augmentation with implants and fat grafting: An implant is placed, and fat is grafted around the implant, either uniformly throughout the breast or in specific, custom areas based on your specific needs.
- Breast augmentation with fat grafting after implant removal: The patient’s current implants are removed. Fat grafting is performed to restore volume to the breast that was immediately lost with removal of the implant. This is often combined with a breast lift (mastopexy) to lift and reshape the breast.
- The breast is marked to highlight areas were the fat will be added
- Areas of excess fat are identified on the body and marked
- Liposuction is performed to collect the fat grafts
- The collected fat is processed to remove excess fluid
- The purified fat is injected in small amounts into multiple levels of the breast tissue to ensure an adequate blood supply will be available for the fat graft to “take”
- Compressive garments are placed to help minimize swelling.
Risks & Benefits
Following any fat grafting procedure, it is possible for some of the fat to be reabsorbed by the body leading to a loss of volume. It is also possible for some of the fat to become firm and in some cases may be palpable.
Fat grafting is a powerful tool that can facilitate a truly custom augmentation to breast size and shape. The fat that remains in your breast is a permanent enhancement. Unlike breast implants, there is no need for imaging or implant exchanges in the future.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I choose what breast size I want to be if I decide on a breast augmentation using fat grafting?
After reviewing your aesthetic goals and performing a physical examination during your consultation, we will be able to estimate how much excess fat on your body can be transferred to your breast.
Can I choose which area of the body the liposuction is performed to collect the fat grafts?
Yes. You and your plastic surgeon will make that decision together.